Thursday, October 26, 2006

West Indian Style Grilled Chicken


Wednesday is pool night for me and now that Lea and I live a little closer to the pool hall we have time to eat together before I go out to play! This leaves me (I finish work earlier) with a perfect opportunity to step into the kitchen and practice my culinary skills.

This dish is inspired from a sort of Caribbean/West-Indian assumed style.

Anyway, here's how it all worked out.
















Ingredients

2 large chicken breasts

Can of blackeye peas

1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon curry powder
pinch of ground cumin
pinch of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon honey

Mix the paprika, curry powder, ground cumin, ground cinnamon, lemon juice, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper with the melted butter to a smooth paste.

Next mix in the honey to complete the marinade and baste the chicken all over.

Cut small slits in the surface of the chicken breasts and spread the marinade all over the chicken.

Put the chicken in the fridge to absorb the marinade for as long as you can (I'd suggest a minimum of about an hour).

Prepare the barbecue and preheat as required.

Place the chicken directly on the grill and adjust the heat for an even cook. Apply any remaining marinade as a baste during the early stages of cooking and turn as necessary until thoroughly done.

I served the dish with blackeye peas to complete a simply delicious and easy to prepare West Indian style meal.


I'd love to hear from anyone with suggestions or variations for this recipe or alternately just to hear you enjoyed it.

Until next time, eat well!



Your Ad Here

5 comments:

Lea said...

*drool*

I had the leftovers of this today for lunch... just as good heated up... I loved the cinnamon and honey used to sweeten this up... instead of standard ol sugar...

I almost regretted running the dishwasher today... the curry smell that had taken over was making me want to lick the plates... O_O

Anonymous said...

Yup, that definitely looks like a good eat!

maltese parakeet said...

welcome the food blogosphere, dave!

Susan in Italy said...

Great start! The West Indian chicken looks great.

jeniff said...

hi ya just on my way to try receipe be right back with verdict after bbq.